Back pain - a frequent symptom. Most people at least once in their lives met with it. It is one of the most common causes to visit your doctor and the passage of the work.
Key words: back pain, back pain, spine
Back pain can occur at any age, but is most common between 35 and 55 years old. The pain in the spinal column is related to how our bones, muscles, intervertebral discs, ligaments, tendons and nerves.
The pain in the spinal column may be caused by problems with the vertebrae and discs between them, the ligaments around the spine and discs, spinal cord and nerves, muscles of the back, the internal organs in the abdominal and pelvic areas. Also cause pain in the upper back can become diseases of the aorta, tumors in the chest and inflammation of the spinal column.
The risk factors
The presence of risk factors increases the likelihood of development of a state. For example, obesity increases the risk of diabetes type ii.
The following factors are related with the increased risk of the onset of back pain:
- office work;
- the work, combined with the constant stress;
- pregnancy pregnant women often suffer from pain in the spinal column;
- a sedentary lifestyle;
- obesity/excess weight;
- is prohibited;
- heavy physical exercises;
- the hard physical work.
The signs and symptoms of pain in the back
The symptom is what the patient feels, then, like a signal you may notice the doctor. For example, pain is a symptom, then, as a rash, a symptom.
The main symptom of pain in the spine is pain in any part of the back. Sometimes, the pain spreads to the buttocks and the feet or on my shoulder and hand.
You should immediately contact a doctor if pain accompanies any of the following symptoms:
- weight loss;
- high temperature (fever);
- the back pain is not eased after the break;
- the pain, giving in the leg;
- the pain down below the knee;
- the presence of a fresh injury in the spinal column;
- urinary incontinence (even small portions);
- difficulty of urination - the urine passes with difficulty;
- fecal incontinence - loss of control over the process of defecation;
- numbness in the genital area;
- numbness in the region of the anus;
- numbness in the buttocks.
Seek counsel from a specialist if you belong to one of these groups:
- people with age less than 22 or more than 55 years of age;
- patients who took steroids a few months;
- patients with cancer;
- patients who already has cancer;
- patients with low immunity.
Causes of pain in the back
Of man, the spinal column is a complex structure composed of muscles, ligaments, tendons, disks and bones. The Intervertebral disks are between each pair of vertebrae and function as shock absorbers of the friction. Problems with any one of these components can cause pain in the spinal column. In some cases, the cause of the pain of not being able to install.
The common causes of spine pain are:
- stretch of the muscle;
- stretched ligaments;
- the lifting of the heavy object in the posture incorrect;
- the lift is very heavy object;
- the result accentuated and a strange movement;
- muscle spasm.
The following structural problems can cause aches in the column:
- protrusion the intervertebral disk. Break the outer shell of the disk leads to vbuhanie your internal content to outside. This can cause the clogging of the nerve and, as a result, the pain;
- the hernia intervertebral disk - bulging internal contents of a large disk;
- sciatica - sharp, shooting pain that radiates into the buttock and back area of the foot, caused by protrusion or herniated intervertebral disc, compressing the nerve;
- arthritis - patients with osteoarthritis often have problems in the joints of the hip, lumbar spine, knees and hands. In some cases, it may occur stenosis of the spinal canal, as well as the space around the spinal cord narrows;
- abnormal flexion of the spine - if the spine curves in an unusual way, the patient more likely to suffer from pain in the column. An example of the curvature of the anomalous is the scoliosis, the spine becomes curved in the direction;
- osteoporosis the bones, including the vertebrae become fragile and porous, which results in the increase of its fragility.
Below are some other causes of pain in the column:
- the syndrome of tail - the tail of the horse is a bundle of nerve roots, which bifurcates in the spinal cord. The people with syndrome of the tail of feel a dull pain in the lumbar spine and buttocks. Can also occur loss of sensation in the buttocks, genitals, thigh. Sometimes, people with syndrome of the tail suffer from incontinence of urine and/or feces;
- cancer of the spine - a tumor located in the spine can pinch the nerve, leading to pain;
- infection of the spine - if a patient will have high body temperature, and also has a painful, hot area on the back, so he can speak about an infection of the spinal column;
- other infections - pelvic inflammatory disease in women, as well as infection of the bladder and the kidneys can also cause back pain;
- sleep disorders - people with sleep disorders more commonly experience pain in the column relative to the general population;
- tinea versicolor - an infection that can affect your nerves;
- suitable mattress - if the mattress does not support certain parts of the body and not smooth the position of the back, there is a risk of development of pain in the spinal column.
Also, the cause of the pain in the spinal column can become a certain movement or position of the body, such as long driving, coughing, and t. d.
What to do when back pain
If you feel pain in the column, within a few days, then the following tips will help you reduce the pain and discomfort and speed up recovery:
- keep active, as much as possible;
- by necessary, use BerezatErnie painkillers;
- use hot and cold compresses. Fit a bottle with hot water and a package of frozen vegetables.
Despite the fact that it is difficult to keep optimistic when you suffer from pain, try not to be discouraged. This will speed up the healing process.
The long-term, pain in the column, which does not pass in a period of six weeks, you should consult your doctor. The doctor will come to the history of the disease, will perform a physical examination and, if necessary, will send more research. The doctor may prescribe x-rays if there is suspicion of a problem with the bone of a system or osteoarthrosis, CT (computed tomography) or MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) suspicion of intervertebral disc hernia or any other problems related to the soft tissue or nerves. In such a situation, magnetic resonance imaging is the best choice. Also, the doctor may advise you to spend a few lab tests or to measure the electrical activity of the nerves (EMG).
After the diagnosis, the doctor prescribes the treatment. For the majority of cases, conservative treatment, which may include:
- special exercises;
- youtthe organizing Committee of the spinal column;
In severe cases can be questioned about the conduct of surgery. The surgeon will help You choose a suitable method, and also to advise on the possible complications. After some time after the surgery is recommended step-by-step the prophylactic treatment of the spinal column. Remember that the surgery of the spinal column, are quite dangerous, as well as the operation of dining, is located in the immediate vicinity of the nerves.