Our neck is composed of vertebrae that extend from the nape to the upper part of the trunk. Between the vertebrae are to be found special units that can absorb the pressure. Bones, ligaments and muscles located in the neck — they all work to keep the head and carry out the movement. Any anomaly, trauma or inflammation in the cervical region department leads to the painful feeling.
What to do if a sore throat? After all, the time time is what happens with everyone. Many times this is related with the stress or bad posture. Sometimes, the pain may be a consequence of the injury resulting from a fall or sports practice.
More often than to get rid of a pain in the neck it is possible for a couple of days at home, without additional resources, if it is insignificant, then, is by itself. Sometimes, it can be a warning of serious illness and injury, and requires the immediate inspection of a technician. If the pain in the cervical department of the spine strong, is maintained for more than a week and accompanied by other symptoms, contact your doctor immediately.
Causes of pain in the neck
When it hurts the neck? This can be caused by a number of reasons.
The muscle tension and elongation
Cup only this is due to:
- the bad posture;
- a lot of time to find behind a desk;
- losing the posture during sleep;
- damage to the neck during the exercise.
Our neck particularly vulnerable to falls, auto accidents, sports, and other activity, during which the muscles are forced to go beyond the usual range of motion. When переломе cervical vertebrae is large, the probability that the spinal cord is also damaged.
Neck pain can be a symptom of a heart attack. However, usually, in such cases it manifests itself, along with other symptoms, such as:
- difficulty in breathing;
- increased sweating;
- the pain in the hands or jaw.
If you notice some of the following symptoms, immediately call an Ambulance.
Meningitis is an inflammation of the thin sheath of the spinal cord and brain. In many cases, patients with meningitis, along with fever and headache notice the discomfort and congestion in the neck. It is a very dangerous disease, which can end up lethal. If you are celebrating-if the symptoms of meningitis, immediately consult your doctor.
- Rheumatoid arthritis can cause discomfort, swelling of the joints and bone spurs. With the development of arthritis in the neck appear a strong pain.
- Osteoporosis leads to a weakening of bone tissue and fractures. The greatest risk are typically affected by his hands and knees, but often suffers and the neck.
- Fibromyalgia is a condition that causes muscle pain throughout the body, especially in the region of the neck and shoulders.
- With age occurs the degeneration of the intervertebral disc. This state is also called osteoarthritis — contraction of the space between ceruicis the vertebrae, which increases the work load for the neck and cause the sensation of pain.
- As a result of an injury to the intervertebral disc can begin to act strongly for the outside world, which increases the load on the spine and nerves, causing discomfort.
- Spinae stenosis occurs when the spinal column is narrow and causing pressure on the spinal cord or nerve roots, when it comes out of the vertebrae. This can be the result of a long period of inflammation caused by arthritis and other diseases.
In rare cases, the pain in the neck can occur as a result of:
- congenital anomalies;
- the infection;
- cancer of the spinal column.
When to see a doctor
If the symptoms persist for more than a week, it is worth consulting a specialist. You must also go to the hospital, if you have the following symptoms:
- strong pain in the neck without cause.
- the tumor;
- pain in the lymph nodes;
- problems with swallowing and breathing;
- ringing in the ears;
- the pain that spreads from the top down with your hands or feet;
- the impossibility of lifting up the hands;
- the inability to touch the chin to the chest;
- a malfunction of the bladder or bowel.
Also contact your doctor immediately if the pain appeared as a result of a fall or accident.
How to treat pain in the neck
In the first place, the doctor will check your physical condition and history of the disease. Be prepared to talk about all the nuances that manifest themselves symptoms. It's also worth mentioning all the drugs you took in recent times. Any information about your injuries, even if you think that she has no relationship with the problem, will be useful.
The method of treatment depends on the diagnosis. In addition to the inspection and analysis of your medical records, the doctor can also prescribe additional tests:
- an analysis of blood;
- computed tomography;
- electromyography, which allows you to check the health of the muscles and control your nerve endings;
- lumbar spine or a lumbar puncture.
Depending on the results of the examinations the doctor will refer you to a professional technician. Treatment may include:
- heat just;
- Therapy for exercise and stretching;
- injections of corticosteroids;
- muscle relaxants;
- of the neck a bandage;
- tractu вытяжение of the spinal column;
- antibiotics (if infection);
- the treatment in the hospital (when to meningitis and a heart attack);
- operation (rarely used).
Alternative treatment is:
- transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation.
Whatever the treatment method, make sure that if they came back with a professional.
How to get rid of a pain in the neck at home
If the pain is small, try the following methods of treatment:
- The first couple of days, put cold compress to the damaged area. Soon after this, use a hot compress or take a hot water shower;
- Take medicines without the prescription of painkillers, such as ibuprofen and acetaminophen;
- In a few days, abandon the practice of sporting activities, weight lifting and activity, which increases the sensation of pain. At least, the symptoms subside, gradually, return to usual level of activity;
- Each day, load to the neck. Slowly, pull the head from one side to the other, from top to bottom;
- Watch out for the posture;
- During the conversation, do not pinch the telephone between the neck and the shoulder;
- More often change the position of the body. Do not sit and do not stay long without movement;
- Make a light massage of the neck;
- During sleep, use the special pillow for the neck;
- Do not use the neck a bandage without first consulting a specialist. The misuse can aggravate the symptoms.
The stretching helps to forget the pain
During the work, try the monitor was at eye level, sit right back, hold exactly, not recurvus and do not lower the head very low. During a tour to the steering wheel or to browse the internet from your smartphone and try to give you small periods of rest, cervical vertebrae would not go very far.
The key to get rid of the pain with the movements correct and competent stretching. The following exercises for the back and neck, you can do and at work, and behind the wheel:
- Make 10 circular movements of the shoulders to the back;
- 10 times, join the shoulder blades together;
- Keeping the head right, the more strongly упритесь затылком in the backrest of a chair and hold this position for 30 seconds;
- Tilt your head to the side as close as possible to the shoulder, 10 times each side.
Be careful during sleep
If you often troubled by pain in the cervical region department, it is worth attention refers to the one in which conditions and in what type of posture you sleep. Try to sleep only on your side or in the back — never sleep on your belly.
When you sleep on your stomach, then turns her head to one side or the other, and the neck is stuck for a few hours in an uncomfortable position. This dream can negatively affect the state of the lumbar spine, as well as in the absence of a due support to the belly "drops" down.
Small pains, in addition to exercises, follow the following recommendations:
- Apply to the damaged area the cold or the hot compress. The first 48-72 hours, use ice, and then go to hot compresses. Do not use a compress during sleep, as this may cause injury.
- Take medicines without the prescription of painkillers, such as ibuprofen and acetaminophen;
- Continue to move, but delete the movements that reinforce the pain. This will help to reduce the symptoms and the inflammation.
- Make a light massage on the neck.
- Try sleeping on a firm mattress without a pillow or a cushion for the neck.
- Ask the doctor about the need of the use of the cervical spine kneebar. Do not use a bandage that is too long, can relax the muscles.
9 yoga exercises for the neck
Yoga — another good way to get rid of the pain.
1. The hands of the width of the chest
It is convenient to sit on the floor or on a chair back straight, your shoulders relaxed, your neck extra. Pull the right hand to that she was at the height of the shoulder, and takes it to the left. Turn head, look over his right shoulder. This posture allows you to stretch the muscles of the neck and the back of the shoulder. Stay in position for 8 to 10 breaths-выдохов, and then the same repeat with the left hand.
2. The posture "продевание line on the needle
Stay on your knees, knees in an angle in relation to the police. Stretch the left arm to maximize the front and slide your finger from the right. Get on your knees on the floor, right shoulder and jaw. Close your eyes, relax, feel how to stretch the muscles of the shoulders, arms, back and neck. Stay in position for 8 to 10 breaths-выдохов, and then the same repeat with the left hand.
3. The hands of the eagle
Stand or sit in a comfortable position with the spine exactly, the extended neck. Pull both hands, to the end that they were, in width and in the height of the shoulders. Fold the right hand to the head, and slide the left hand under the right. Fold and wrap the left hand around the right. The end goal is to touch the palms of the hands. This can take some time, so, if you cannot, then hold the left hand over the wrist of the right hand. Take a deep breath. Lower the shoulders, carefully push the hands to the face and slowly head toward the left shoulder. This posture allows you to stretch the muscles of the arms, shoulders, upper back and neck. Stay in such a position, in at least 5 breaths-выдохов (preferably 10). Repeat with the other side.
4. The circular motion of the head
It is convenient to sit on the floor or on a chair back straight, your shoulders relaxed, your neck extra. Lower the chin to the chest and then slowly lower the head to the right, trying to touch the right ear, right shoulder. Lower the tips of the fingers of your left hand on the left shoulder and the right hand over the left ear. The more you apply pressure with the hands on the shoulder and the ear, the stronger, lengthen the muscles. This is an exercise of pain in my neck and shoulders. Repeat with the other side.
5. The circular motion of the shoulders
Stand or sit in a comfortable position, back, keep exactly. Place the tips of the fingers on the shoulders. Stretch-if elbowed each other in front of the body to stretch the shoulders and upper back. Up — to stretch the triceps. Side by side, to stretch the chest and the front part of the shoulder. Stretch-elbowing each other out of the side of the back, to stretch the deep muscles of the shoulder and chest.
6. Stretch The "Cat"
Stay on your knees, knees in an angle in relation to the police. With each breath deflect back, the gaze directed to the ceiling. Each exhalation, pull your chin to the chest, pull the tail bone, round the back. This exercise helps to stretch the muscles of the neck, chest, shoulders, back and waist. Each position hold 8-10 выдохов-выдохов.
7. The hand to the elbow
Stand or sit in a comfortable position, back, keep exactly. Lift the right hand upward, bend the elbow and lower between the scapulae. The palm of the left hand, place your right elbow and push to increase the muscle stretching. This posture allows you to stretch the muscles of the shoulders, triceps, back, and neck. Hold the position for 8 to 10 breaths. Repeat with the other side.
8. Hands in the castle behind
Stand erect, with feet shoulder-width apart. Move the arm back and соприкоснитесь the palms of the hands. Raise your hand as high as possible, up to not feel as stretched in the front of the shoulders. Hold the position for 8 to 10 breaths.
9. The posture of the fish, with the support
Sit on the floor, standing up, pull in front of you or bend your knees. Place a small stack of blankets, or two blocks of yoga behind you, in order that, when you lean back, a they were between the shoulder blades and the other under the head. Light back to the blocks, hands, hold is relaxed on the side of the trunk. This posture allows you to stretch the muscles of the chest and throat, as well as the front part of the shoulder. Hold the position for 8 to 10 breaths.